Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Somethin' Bout Ranchin'



Its been a long time, and this isn't really a blog, its a poem I wrote about ranching and the stigma(s), if you will, or nostalgia for the American Cowboy that I think still exists in a lot of people's minds. 


While folks are enjoyin’ a hot cup
Talk of ranchin’ comes up.
It seems its Montana this, or Montana that.
Silver buckles, spurs and a cowboy hat.
But there’s something bout ranchin’ that’s more than the look;
Something you can’t learn from a book.

Its having grit in your teeth and a want to in your eye.
Sayin’ “no thanks” as the sell-em-all wagon passes by.
Its beatin’ the sun out of bed
And those cold winter days when the cows need fed.
Its brandin’ and ropin’ and fencin’ and hayin’.
It’s a lot of blood, sweat, and prayin’.
Its balling calves and breeches,
Its thorn bushes, but dangit its fresh peaches!

But what is it about ranching that makes a little city boy decide
To dress up like a cowboy and yell, “Yeehaw! Saddle up pard’ner, lets ride!”?
What is it about ranching that takes young girls breath away
When a cowboy says, “no ma’am, I can’t stay.”?

Is that just Hollywood, is that for real?
Does that really happen, is it that big a’ deal?
Yes sir, there’s something about ranchin’ that leaves people in awe.
Even after we tamed the “wild west” that’s all they saw.

It ain’t how we talk, that’s differn’t state to state.
It aint how we dress, heck that changes by weight!
I haven’t figured it out, I don’t know what it is.
Maybe us cowfolk can’t answer this quiz.
But whatever it may be, we keep doing what we do
To keep food on the table for me and you.
If you know the answer, you’re smarter than me,
Which, very well could be.
So if you figure it out, please let me know.
And until then I’ll keep reapin’ what I sow.

3 comments:

  1. This is both good poetry for the genre and sounds like you, so kuddos! You should find that "Take my life and jumped" poem--that's still one of the best things I've ever read, not only from you but about the way such a moment actually feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks. I will post that one, too. I have a few that will make their way on here, along with some actual blogs :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete